My Grandma Grace is an avid quilter and also had a successful career as an antique dealer and owner of Grace Antiques, a shop in Cincinnati, OH. One of the estates that she bought for her shop contained a few quilts, including a yo yo quilt which she gave to me a few years ago.
Yo yos are little rosettes made by gathering circles of fabric. Yo yos are a quick and easy use of scrap fabric, but I never know what to do with all of them. This quilt's yo yos are less than 2 inches wide. I counted the yo yos in my quilt (well, at least the edges) and found that it was 60 wide by 70 long, making it 4,200 yo yos total! I can't imagine the patience that it would have taken to sew all of these together! Most of the quilt is random and scrappy, with subtle patterns.
I'm not sure if a yo yo quilt is in my future, but this quilt is certainly inspiring! Do any of you have other good uses for yo yos?
| Scrappy yo yos with a subtle pattern in orange. |
| Back side of yo yo quilt |

No comments:
Post a Comment